Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Style Icons: Sweet Valley High

Living in LA has been a life long dream of mine. As long as I can remember I longed to be a Malibu Beach Barbie, wrecking havoc in Hollywood a 'La 'I Love Lucy' style waiting for my Prince Charming to climb up my balcony and save me Pretty Women style
(and I'd save him right back obvi).
But I do believe it was fellow Gemini's (with a birthday just one day before mine) Jessica & Elizabeth Wakefield who served as my two biggest SoCal Style icons and inspirations to be a SoCal Valley Girl.
Screen Shot 2012-07-17 at 1.43.42 PM
Long before I was introduced to Brandon, Brenda and Donna Martin I spent many a summer vacation day getting lost in some good ole southern California drama.
Screen Shot 2012-07-17 at 1.42.12 PM
Seriously, I would go to the Library and gets stacks and stacks of them and devour them. Not sure attempted date-rape, DUI's and excessive cheating was the best content for a third grader to read but I reread them over and over for years.
And I turned out just fine... I think...
Screen Shot 2012-07-17 at 1.41.29 PM
All I dreamed of was being beach blonde, with blue-green eyes, with a perfect size six waist, driving a jeep around SoCal. Oh and i mean, besides fantasizing about having a dreamy Southern Californian boyfriend like the ones Jessica & Elizabeth had.
Screen Shot 2012-07-17 at 1.28.01 PM
I always related and identified to Jessica and her schemeing boy-crazy/bad-girl ways but I longed to a be an Elizabeth. Either way i loved those twins and their carefree California living ways.
And here I am now in LA living my SoCal dream up...
Can't wait to plan a Board Game night & bust out the Sweet Valley High board game, so i can steal Bruce Patman from Lila for a bit...
Screen Shot 2012-07-18 at 12.13.01 PM
Were you a Sweet Valley High fan? who was your favorite?
And have you heard that a new series of an adult Jessica & Elizabeth is now out  called Sweet Valley High Confidential.  Can you guess which twin is divorced and already on her second marriage??
See, I always knew I was a Jessica.



10 comments:

  1. I loved me some Sweet Valley Twins...but when they were in middle school. I can still sit and reread all those books to this day. I own a ton of them. I have read a few of the high school books, but I loved reading about them having their first crushes and first kisses. And I used to read (and have all of) The Unicorn Club series, too! I liked Jessica, but I was more of an Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I devoured these books as a kid. I read all of the series (twins, High, and got the new book) and totally related. I swear I was the perfect blend of the twins but probably swayed towards Elizabeth a little more. :)

    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I LOVED them! I think I read the ones when they were younger though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh!! Loved those books! Read them all. Was totally an Elizabeth :). I'm down for a game night. Used to have the board game myself...wonder what happened to it??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading Sweet Valley High. I felt a little naughty reading it because it involved kissing haha! Definitely a step in a new direction compared to Baby Sitters Club.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved SVH! Read all of them! I just found out about the new-updated books this week... might need to check them out! So glad to hear I am not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg! i loved sweet valley high books growing up! i am most definitely going to need to check out these adult books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. when my parents decided to get a place in socal i flipped out b/c it meant that - at the age of 35 - i could FINALLY be a wakefield twin on the weekends. we need to get together, girl - because i haven't read "dear sister" in years (the coma one, right?)

    ReplyDelete